Thursday, June 30, 2011

Water Heater Sizing Considerations - Bigger Is Not Always Better When You Replace

Lizbette the know-it-all
My friend Lizbette works as an inspector in Los Angeles and is always trying to prove that she knows more about anything and everything than I do.

She knows I work in the Laundromat business so one day she said "I bet you don't know that most Laundromats I've seen violate the Uniform Building Code."  Nonsense was my first thought, but I said politely "OK, prove it Miss KnowItAll!"

She got out her Code books and after very little searching she did prove it and I realized that those people who replace their water heaters should be aware of the building code before making a mistake.

Sometimes I would just like to see her break a fingernail, bend an earring or answer the doorbell before she's put on her makeup.


                                     -The Latina Laundromat Advisor


Uniform Building Code  Section 708

Special Hazards

Sec. 708. Chimneys and heating apparatus shall conform to the requirements of Chapter- 37 of this code and the Mechanical Code. Storage of Class I liquids shall not be allowed in Group B, Divisions 1, 2 and 3 Occupancies and the handling and use of gasoline, fuel oil and other Glass I, II, or III-A liquids shall not be permitted in any Group B Occupancy unless such use and handling comply with the Fire Code. Devices generating a glow or flame capable of igniting gasoline vapor shall not be installed or used within 18 inches of the floor in any room in which Class I flammable liquids or gas are used or stored. Every room containing a boiler, central heating plant or hot-water supply boiler shall be separated from the rest of the building by not less than a one-hour fire resistive occupancy separation.

EXCEPTlON: Boilers, central heating plants or hot-water supply boilers where the largest piece of fuel equipment does not exceed 400,000 Btu per hour input.

Buildings erected or converted to house high-piled combustible stock shall comply with the Fire Code. 

No comments:

Post a Comment